I have a new blog!

If you want to see only my creations please come and check out and follow my new blog http://www.tanyah-payne.blogspot.com

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

You make me smile - step-by-step layout and sketch by Nicky Amber

Here's a step by step using the new Birch double-sided cardstock.  
This cardstock features a glittered design on one side and co-ordinating pattern on the back.



Materials:
Instructions:
  • I wanted to continue the 'glittered' look of the patterned paper so I used the white cardstock as a base and sprayed glimmermist around the border of the page (I think I got a bit carried away but I was having fun doing it).
  • I machine stitched a couple of rows around the border of the white cardstock.
Note:  If you want this 'spattered' look but don't have glimmermist you could try using some watered down paint in a mister bottle.

 
  • I cut the pink cardstock to approx. 11.5 x 6 inches then used the mini orchard template to shape the ends of the cardstock.

 
  •   Using the white pen I doodled a border around the edges of the shaped pink cardstock.

  

  • Using the Birch patterned paper (glittered side) I cut an 8 x 8 inch square from the top right-hand corner.
  • I then cut around the two owls and flowers from the bottom left-hand corner.



  • I distressed the edges of the 8 x 8 inch patterned paper and lightly brushed the edges with paint. I also machine stitched a couple of rows around the border.
  

  • I attached the shaped piece of pink cardstock to the left-hand side of the page.
  • I then placed the patterned paper (with a slight tilt) on the page overlapping the pink cardstock.
  • I attached the title using the mini alpha stickers and the thickers to the bottom of the pink cardstock. I have used the new fabric thickers for the title - they give a really nice texture.
  • I attached green rhinestones over the machine stitching on the base cardstock.  Two to the top right and three to the bottom left-hand edges.
  • I also attached green rhinestones to the centre of three flowers on the patterned paper.
 

  • I matted a 4 x 6 photo with green cardstock and distressed the edges
  • Then attached over the patterned paper.  I didn't want to cover up too much of the glittered design on the patterned paper so I placed the photo quite low down on the page.
  • I attached the cut out owls to the left-hand side of the page.

 

I thought it needed something in the bottom right-hand corner so...
  • From the reverse side of the patterned paper, I cut a strip approx. 10cm long.
  • From the pink cardstock, I cut a strip approx. 3cm x 10cm long and used this to mat the patterned paper strip. I have distressed the edges of the pink cardstock.
  

  • I attached this strip to the bottom right-hand side corner.  Tucking one end under the photo and wrapping the other end around to the back of the page and securing.
  • I attached two buttons over the strip near the photo.
  • All done!!
  

  • Here's a sketch based on this layout.
 

I hope you can use this sketch to create a layout of your own.  It would be fantastic to see your wonderful creations in the gallery.


I just loved working with the Birch glittered papers - so sweet, very reasonably priced and if you're not a pink person they have a boy range as well. 

Enjoy and take care!

3 comments:

Shazz said...

gorgeous LO and I love the step-by-step xo

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

Cute as! Thanks for the instructions :)

Ingeborg Dijkstra- Verbeek said...

That is such an adorable photo and layout! Gorgeous!