I have a new blog!

If you want to see only my creations please come and check out and follow my new blog http://www.tanyah-payne.blogspot.com

Friday, August 13, 2010

Different ways to make and use inchies (part 1: Inchies & Cards) by Ingeborg Dijkstra

I am creating a few posts on inchies and this week I will post part 1 (Inchies & Cards) in this message. Part 2 (Inchies & Scrapbooking) will be posted next week and part 3 (Inchies & Inchie Stamps) the week after that. It actually was Nicky Amber and her Week 7 Embellish It challenge, who reminded me of those little pieces of art (measuring 1 inch x inch).

Inchies have been around for ages especially with ATC- and stamping artists. But ... I am neither an ATC- or stamping artist! What I do know though is a few tricks and tips to create and use these little squares on cards and layouts. Obviously a lot of you know this stuff too, because if you check the Embellish It Week 7 gallery, you will find all sorts of beautiful projects featuring at least a few inchies.
But ... there might be some of you, who never made an inchie. Or ... you might have only made them one way or used them the same way over and over again. If any of this sounds like you, please read on ... I have made five different cards with at least one inchie on them. I will give
the step-by-step instructions for the three black/white/ pink cards first. After that I will show you how I made the other two cards. WARNING: long message ahead LOL ! So here we go ...

I have made five inchies and used them on three different cards. I will show and tell you step-by-step how I made the inchies (if you'd like to see larger photos, please click HERE).
  1. I used five chipboard inchies as my base. I cut five slightly larger squares out of pink tissue paper.
  2. I put a little Tacky Glue around each side.
  3. I put the tissue paper squares at the other side and folded the sides onto the glue.
  4. I made sure I folded the corners first and then the sides. Yes, this is a bit sticky, but it is worth it, I promise!
  5. After the glue is dry, I added a bit of shimmering paint. I used the Radiant Rain (Pink Azalea) Paint Dauber.
  6. I let the paint dry completely.
  7. Whilst the paint was drying, I punched some little flowers. Remember, you are making inchies, so if you use punches, make sure they are small!
  8. I stamped some swirls and flowers on the dried pink inchies. I also inked the edges.
  9. I stamped the same images on the punched flowers.
  10. I wanted to outline the punched flowers. Since they are quite small, I used a scrap piece of paper and some non-permanent glue (Pritt) to stick them on temporarily.
  11. After I outlined the little flowers, I carefully peeled them of the scrap sheet of paper.
  12. I stuck the flowers on the inchies and added a little hot pink rhinestone in the middle.
These are three cards that I made with the five inchies:

As promised here are the instructions for the other inchies. If the picture below is too small for you, please click HERE to see the larger version.


  1. I wanted to create my own background. I put some Glimmer Screens (like masks/ stencils) on a piece of white cardstock.
  2. I sprayed Glimmer Mist on the screens and let it dry.
  3. I added a few stamps for more colour and variety.
  4. I cut the piece of cardstock in inchies.
  5. I put 12 inchies in a nice pattern at the front of a white card.
  6. I added some ribbon and a punched circle. Done!
Since I still had quite a few inchies left, I decided to make another card. I used the same Glimmer Screens and Glimmer Mist for a background. I stamped and embossed the words on the card using a heat gun. I used a golden embossing powder. Tan currently has a special price for the heat gun: $ 35.00 instead of $ 55.00, which is over 35% off! Anyway, I also stamped some small script images on the flowers, added some pearls, and of course my three inchies and done!

2 comments:

Tanyah Payne said...

oh my goodness, these samples are breathtaking! ...wow Ingegorg really love these and extreamly inspiring.

thankyou! *mwah* xoxo

nic said...

Stunning examples Ingeborg!! How absolutely gorgeous...xxxooo