I have a new blog!

If you want to see only my creations please come and check out and follow my new blog http://www.tanyah-payne.blogspot.com

Monday, August 30, 2010

A Birthday Card - by Sue Smith

This week I have once again used Graphic 45 patterned papers in the Botanicabella range, but this time I have created a card suitable for an older person's birthday....



This is a trifold card....



...which opens to reveal the second part of the greeting....



...and then opens up once again with a blank space for a personalised message.

Here is a list of the products I have used...
* Chromatics 'Olive' cardstock
* Graphic 45 patterned papers from the gorgeous Botanicabella range
* A2Z Scraplets Tree 7 (I have used the smaller one of the two in the pack)
* Leaf and small flower stamps (the ones I have used are from Stampin' Up)
* Large flower and butterfly stamps (these ones are from Autumn Leaves Clear Stamps 'Second Nature' by Rhonna Farrer)
* Assorted Versacolor Stamp spots
* Kaisercraft rubons 'Type Alpha' (I really love the grungey look of these)
* Kaisercraft Pearls and Rhinestones
* Birch Pearl Trimming in black
* Coloured dual point markers

To make the card itself, take the olive cardstock and cut to 305mm x 200mm and then score it twice at the 101mm and 203mm mark (measuring along the longer side). Fold to overlap one side over the other.

Next take the green leafy side of the Graphic 45 'Secret Garden' paper and cut 2 pieces 195mm x 97mm (this size gives you a nice little border of cardstock around the edge of the card), ink the edges with a darker colour ink pad (I have used a Versacolor Stamp Spot in the colour 'Bamboo'). Then attach these to the two flaps of the card with double-sided tape.

To make the tree on the front take the A2Z Scraplets Chipboard Tree and glue to back of the Graphic 45 'Love Letters' patterned paper. Make sure that the adhesive covers the chipboard completely before sticking down. I used Pritt Power Gel for mine.



Once the glue has dried carefully cut around the edge of the chipboard with a craft knife.



Sand the edges for a nice smooth finish.



Finally colour the edges with a darker brown marker.



Stamp light brown cardstock with a leaf stamp multiple times in assorted autumn tonings and cut out each image leaving a little border for contrast.



Arrange the elements on the front of the card and be sure to carefully work out the placing of the rubon letters for the wording. When you're happy with the arrangement, do the rubons first, then glue down the tree, and finally the leaves. I have stuck some of the leaves flat onto the paper with double-sided tape and others with 3D foam squares to give it dimension.

As a final touch, the word 'autumn' is outlined with a fine-tip marker.

The inside flap of the card is done in a similar way using flowers of different shapes, sizes and colours. Arrange the flowers around the wording and finish with pearls and rhinestones.

Stamp two butterflies onto transparency with StazOn Ink (normal ink will not dry on transparency) and cut out. Attach a small strip of the beaded trim to the bodies of the butterflies with clear adhesive.



Attach to the flowers by adding a small amount of glue to the underside of the body where it won't be visible.

Finally outline the word 'spring' with a pink fine-tip marker.

I hope you like the card I've created.
Until next time...happy card-making! xxx

2 comments:

ScrappyScavenger said...

I adore that card! So sweet!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love this card Sue!! I might see if I can alter it for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. Thanks for the inspiration!!! ALz :)