I have a new blog!

If you want to see only my creations please come and check out and follow my new blog http://www.tanyah-payne.blogspot.com

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Out with the old and in with the new ..by Alison Callcott

Hi Everyone

I scheduled this post in last week for when i was away and didn't put in the entire information I was ment to... My apologies, I really love this idea so so much and hope you all can give it a go and place your cards/toppers in our gallery for us to see them...
http://www.scrapncraftwitht.com.au/gallery

Are you a hoarder? I’m a hoarder.

Well no actually (LOL) ... I’m a reformed hoarder!!!

Gone are the days of keeping every single receipt, every single bill, tax returns from 20 years ago.

These days I’m a ruthless, let nothing stand in my way culler! But my ruthless ‘culling’ exterior has but one weakness.

The greeting cards and note cards I receive throughout the year from friends.

How can I throw out with the recycling the beautiful handcrafted cards and notes I receive from girlfriends with love and thoughtfulness in their hearts?

But at the same time, having been a paper-crafter for 11 years, how can I possibly keep them all without taking out a storage unit?!

Towards the end of 2009 I found the answer to my dilemma.

Reuse and recycle them.

Yesterday, using greeting cards and note cards I had received throughout the year, I made four new cards for use in 2010. And it was fun.

I was able to admire the cards again, recall the memories, and then be inspired by my friends’ cards to create something new, something I would never have created without their initial inspiration.

Why hadn’t I thought of this before?

This first card was originally a note card from my friend Jill.

All I did was cut the note card in half at the score line, add two plain white Prima flowers (where Jill had used punched out flowers) and some bling and I had myself a fabulous card topper.

To make the new card all I needed were some patterned paper and cardstock off cuts, a couple of border punches, some ribbon and embroidery cotton.

I am thrilled with the result and it was so quick and easy to do. Thanks Jill!

Card 1 ....................... Card Topper 1



*******************************************

The second card was originally a note card from my friend Susan, a SU! Demonstrator. I removed her matted, stamped image (Susan used SU! stamps) from the note card, and added some Inkssentials Glossy Accents to the stamped lion image. Then, again, using some patterned paper and cardstock off cuts, a border and photo corner punch, ribbon and embroidery cotton, I had myself a fun, versatile card I could use for many occasions. Thanks Susan!

Card 2............................................. Card Topper 2



*******************************************

Next up is a thank you card I only just received from my friend Karen. Although I had only recently received it, yesterday saw the end of 2009 and I was on a culling mission! I absolutely loved the colours and SU! stamps that Karen used when making her thank you card and immediately decided to continue with her colour and circle theme. So again, with patterned paper and cardstock off cuts, a border punch and (just a few) circle punches, literally a scrap of gingham ribbon, and some embroidery cotton a new card was born. I love this fun, retro, funky card and would never have been inspired to create something like it without Karen’s original card. Thanks Karen!

Card 3 ......................................... Card Topper 3

*******************************************

Finally, this card is a little different to the others. It was actually a full sized birthday card from my friend Lucy. I wish I could keep all my birthday cards but as the years advance (LOL) it becomes impractical to do so. This one though I have kept out on my craft desk on display because I loved the effectiveness of its simple design. But I was culling!! So with this one I trimmed it down substantially to make a somewhat larger than normal card topper. I added more Prima and Green Tara blossoms to bump up the layering of the flower, and then with the use of patterned paper off cuts, a border punch, photo anchors and brads, I’ve ended up with a very stylish card more than suitable for some ‘grown up’ occasions ... a wedding or engagement perhaps? Thanks Lucy!

Card 4 ................................ Card Topper 4

*******************************************

Geoff, Max and I are in between homes at the moment as we wait for our new home to be built. So I have a lot more cards hoarded away and let me tell you ... I look forward to the day I come across more of these treasured cards and the fun I’ll have reusing and recycling them! Alz :)

Thank you Alz this is an amazing idea and I am sure to give this ago

take care everone
luv tanXx

PS.. If you love a bargin and CHEAP SCRAPBOOKING SUPPLIES.... remember we have a MEGA scrapbooking SALE ON and up to 78% off products! be quick to grab your bargin, all orders over $20 receive a free gift.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea Alison, it's much better than having them all stashed away in a cupboard.


Lizzy xx

Ingeborg Dijkstra- Verbeek said...

That is a great idea, indeed ... something I should do (one day) ... LOL!