I have a new blog!

If you want to see only my creations please come and check out and follow my new blog http://www.tanyah-payne.blogspot.com

Monday, October 25, 2010

Altered Paint Tin - OTP by Sue Smith

Last week I had the pleasure of attending a scrapbooking retreat on the beautiful Gold Coast with some gorgeous and talented scrapbookers, some of whom have been previous members of Tanyah's DT here on this blog and who continue to be great supporters of her wonderful shop. If you haven't yet shopped with Tanyah, I would encourage you to do so, as there is a huge range of goodies to pick from at great prices with many items discounted. Take advantage of Tanyah's latest offer of FREE POSTAGE until midnight tonight (Oct 25th)....how cool is that?

As part of this retreat, we are asked to alter a tin of any sort and fill it with goodies as a swap, so I thought I would share with you my creation.....



I started off with a 'paint' tin that I purchased from a local craft shop...



The inner circumference of this tin was a lucky 29cm which made it very easy to fit with 30cm papers giving a small overlap. So to line the tin from the inside I cut a 10.5cm strip of some spotted Kaisercraft Vagabond 'Gypsy' paper and joined the 2 short ends together to make an insert like this.....



For added detail I cut some thin strips from Kaisercraft Gypsy Sisters Collection 'Sofia', inked the edges with a Burgundy VersaColour Ink Spot, and then joined them at the short edges before inserting everything into the tin.....



I decided to hang an assortment of handmade embellishments from one side of the handle, and I'll show you how I put one of them together....

1. I started off with a plain chipboard shape

2. I coloured all the edges of the chipboard using a felt tip pen (you could also use paint or any ink you like. I then stamped a small piece of transparency with a co-ordinating image and attached with a small amount of adhesive to one side.

3. After cutting a circle the same size as the inner circle of the chipboard from a scrap of paper, I then stuck that to the chipboard. A good gluestick is best for this sort of thing so that there is an even and total coverage of adhesive. You could also use Jac Paper.

4. After the glue dried I turned it over and then cut around the edge with a craft knife.



I then did the same thing for the other side, sanded all the edges with small files which are fantastic for getting into all those intricate spots and re-inked where I needed to. Here's the finished embellishment....



I then made a few more chipboard tags personalising them for the retreat, and attached them to the handle of the tin using wire and ribbon and added some beads and other trinkets which I coloured with Tim Holtz Ranger Alcohol Inks.



HANDY HINTS

* When stamping on transparency or acetate you need to use StazOn Inks as normal stamping inks won't dry on the non-porous surface BUT (and here's the handy hint part) if you don't have the right coloured StazOn inkpad, you can use normal stamping ink on an inkjet printable transparency if you stamp on the 'rough' side. The ink will adhere and dry to that side quite successfully.

* Don't throw out ANY old jewellery....you never know when some little trinket will fit in perfectly with one of your projects. I have a box in my scraproom where I put all those metal bits and bobs and then dress them up with alcohol inks to suit.

Hope you like what I've created and have perhaps picked up a few techniques or ideas from my post. Until next Monday...happy scrapping! xxx

3 comments:

Leanne said...

Wowsers, stunning.

Jaimie Ramsey said...

Just gorgeous!! Love the embellies on the side :)

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous Sue! I think I have some Prima containers like this lying around somewhere ... Alz :) xx