I have a new blog!

If you want to see only my creations please come and check out and follow my new blog http://www.tanyah-payne.blogspot.com

Monday, September 27, 2010

A Patterned Background Technique - layout by Sue Smith

My layout this week features a technique to create an original background for your layout or card using ribbons, lace and fabric (or whatever else you choose to use).




For this wedding photo I wanted to use the Bella Diecut as a shaped layout rather than the traditional square. Sometimes finding the right patterned papers for wedding photos can be a bit of a challenge, so I came up with the idea of attaching strips of texture as an all-over background. I love the combination of white and cream, flowers and lace, for wedding photos, and this layout indulges all of that.

First of all I raided my stash and found lots of white lace, ribbon and fabric and started to lay it across the diecut background. I swapped lots of bits and pieces before I came up with the final configuration.



Once I was happy with how it looked, I stuck down each of the different strips with Pritt Power Gel, using little blobs in places that couldn't be seen, and when the glue was dry, I then stitched around the edge to secure all the layers.



Then I trimmed the excess from around the edge, so that it looked like this....



After that, I attached the photo which was sanded around the edge and mounted using foam double-sided tape to raise it up over the lumpy bumpy background. I then added lots of flowers in cream and white, plus pearl and rhinestone bling.



Here is a list of the items I used for this layout....

* Bella Damsel Paperz in cream

* Weave Extras tiny teeny stickers

* Yillup Designs Beaded Crocheted Centre in silver

* Kaisercraft Pearl Bling

* Kaisercraft Rhinestones

* Kaisercraft Rhinestone Words - Cherish

* Assorted flowers

* Upstairs Downstairs - Felt Frame Oval

* Birch Pearl Trimming in white

* Green Tara - Organza Flower Glitter Design

* Assorted lace and other trim

Hope you like this technique...it's a great way to use up bits and pieces of lace and ribbon (or an excuse to buy some beautiful new ones). Until next Monday...happy scrapping everyone! xxx

....and go the St George-Illawarra Dragons!! :) (my home team)

6 comments:

Tanstar said...

Absolutely stunning, what a perfectly gorgeous background for a wedding photo. Thanks for the idea!

Lizzyc said...

how beautiful!! thanks for sharing.. the end result is stunning!

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

Congratulations Sue, your layout is outstanding! It would look wonderful framed. Julie

Anonymous said...

Sue this absolutely stunning!!!!!

Lizzy xx

Pearl Maple said...

that is a lovely page and creative idea,

saw your message that you will be closed this weekend, will plan to visit some time soon

Anonymous said...

Hooley dooley Sue this is soooooooooo amazing!!! Hooley dooley!!!!!!!! You go gf!!!!! Alz :) xx