Today I would like to talk about altered playing cards. I started creating a set of 52 last year while working on a personal challenge from the prompts put up over at ScrapChat. I tried lots of new ideas and techniques that I had never tried before and came up with some fantastic results.
The card I would like to discuss today is titled "I can see". It was one of 4 cards that I taught in an online class for ScrapChat. This would be one of my favourite cards, although most of them are favourites for different reasons.
When creating with the oversized playing cards, I always like to lightly sand them. This takes off the shiny coating and helps your glue or paints adhere to them.
In creating this card I added the folded texture you can see in the background by adding masking tape in layers. On top of this a coat of primer and then I I added the pink paint with a sponge brush. It was added to the edges of the card and lightly over the ridges of the masking tape. After this was applied and had dried I added my brown ink (umber) to the edges and also the ridges as I did with the paint.
I printed out my quote and inked and used black pen to border it and then adhered it to the card. I then prepared my stamp on a clear block and using Staz On ink I stamped the image onto the card. To dress the rest of the card up I created a small torn flower and added staples and buttons to the quote.
The thought behind this project was to create a slightly shabby chic piece of work, whilst trying a new technique.
I hope you have enjoyed this week’s installment.
have a great week