I have a new blog!

If you want to see only my creations please come and check out and follow my new blog http://www.tanyah-payne.blogspot.com

Friday, April 16, 2010

'Scrapping on a budget' layout by Ingeborg Dijkstra

We all love to buy new scrapbooking products, don't we? But ... sometimes we cannot afford to spend much or we cannot spend anything at all. I wanted to create a layout using only one sheet of patterned paper and nothing else. I was quite surprised to see how easy it was and how it still turned out to be a colourful and fun layout.

Materials used for this layout:

  • one sheet of patterned paper 'Bliss' (Kindred Spirit, the paper costs only $ 0.90)
  • red pen
  • brown pen
  • Butterfly Punch (I used a punch from Martha Stewart, click HERE to see more butterfly punches)
  • Glossy Accents (it isn't cheap, but a bottle can last for years and the product can be used in so many ways, so I think it is surely worth to purchase)
I started with this sheet of patterned paper:
I added my journaling (some lyrics from Miley Cyrus) at the bottom. The words are about butterflies and therefore I put the words in swirly lines to create a 'butterfly' feel. Our daughter loves Miley Cyrus at the moment, so it seemed to fit well ...
I added my title at the top. I used a bigger marker for this, but kept the same 'swirls' going ...

Using a brown pen, I 'sort of' traced around the red title, to keep the writing in the same style as the paper.

Using a craft knife I cut the bottom of the butterfly out of the patterned paper. I want to put my picture just under it. I carefully 'popped' the butterfly out of the paper:

I used the Glossy Accents on the butterflies on the paper and in the centres of the circles and flowers. As you apply the Glossy Accents it looks 'whitish' (see picture below), but it will dry clear and a bit shiny!
Looking at the picture above you can see how the red butterfly has a fresh layer of Glossy Accents on it (you can see the whitish 'stuff') and below you can see what it looks like all dried up!

I punched three butterflies out of a scrap piece of orange paper and added them for a final touch:

Done ... and remember this layout only costs me about $ 1.00 ! ! !

5 comments:

Shazz said...

great example
thanks xo

Karen said...

Great use of pp Ingeborg :)

Anonymous said...

I love this Ingeborg! I was actually thinking of setting myself a challenge to make a page using the basics for less than $5.00 LOL! Your gorgeous LO makes what I was planning look over indulgent now ROFL!!! TFS. Alz :)

Melinda Spinks said...

Now that's just too darn clever. Just goes to show that we don't need to be spending a fortune to make a really beautiful layout. Love the butterfly.
Melinda x

Cheryl said...

just having a look through your blog - this is great. i am verrry interested in scrapping on a budget since I'm quite poor at the moment! It's difficult sometimes when people around you are spending loads on scrap supplies and you can't do the same! great post :-)